Kwahu Tafo

 

OUR LADY OF GOOD COUNSEL PARISH, KWAHU TAFO

 

Our Lady of Good Counsel parish, is situated in the Kwahu East District of the Eastern Region with its centre in Kwahu Tafo. Her outstations cuts across the Kwahu East and South Districts of the Region. Fr. Eugene Bruce Konuah Asante, SVD is currently the Priest-in-Charge assisted by Fr. Daniel Odei Dankyi, SVD.

 

The Parish has twenty-three outstations, ten (10) Primary Schools, seven (7) Junior High Schools, one (1) Senior High School and one (1) Technical School. There are also many different groups and societies in the main parish and the outstations as well. Some of these groups includes Catholic Youth Organization (CYO), Tarcistians, Children of Mary, Alter Servers Association, Knights and Ladies of Marshal and St. John International, Christian mothers Association, the Catholic Charismatic Renewal (CCR) and Aged group among others. The Parish is also blessed with a Grotto (Marian Shrine) which covers a land area of approximately 10 acres. The Nkawkaw Deanery usually climax its yearly rosary here at the end of the rosary month of October every year.

 

PROGRAMME SCHEDULES OF THE MAIN STATION

 

 

 

STATIONS AND DATES OF ESTABLISHMENT

 

 

 

STATION

            FOUNDER/YEAR

                          FIRST MASS

KWAHU TAFO

OP. KWADWO FORDJOUR IN 1925

REV. FR. JOSEPH STAUFFER (SMA) ON 15TH DECEMBER, 1926

MPRAESO

OP. EMMANUEL KWASI ADDAE IN THE EARLY FORTIES

REV. FR. C. J. HODAPP IN 1951

OBO

OP. YAW DEDE IN THE EARLY FIFTIES

 

TWEREDURASE

MISS BENEDETTE, ADUSA NYAME, GODFRED ADAMA AND JOHN OFORI IN 1993

REV. FR. SABASTIAN SPERL

BEPONG

OP. KWASI ADDAE (ALIASE KWASI ROMAN) IN 1932

 

ASAKRAKA

OP. JOSEPH DUA (ALIASE AGYA FORDJOUR) IN 1934

REV. FR. LEMENS (SMA) IN 1934

NTOMEM

 

 

ODOTOKAW

MR. THOMAS K. DONKO 1989

 

ADAWSO

MADAM AGARTHA OWIEREDU AND MR. ALFRED GADRI

REV. FR. NORBERT MUSHOFF IN 1978

NKYENEKYENE

OP. JOSEPH K. YEBOAH IN 1985

REV. FR. NORBERT IN 1985

PITIKU

MIGRANTE FISHERMEN FROM SETTLERS MEPE LEAD BY MR. GILBERT KOFI AGBAGLI

 

ASUBONE

PETER TSIDI ON 1ST MAY, 1994

REV. FR. GREGORY ON 24TH JANUARY,1995

NKETEPA

MR. JOHN KOFI ZEGGEY IN 1982

REV. FR. SEBASTIAN SPERL

AMATEY

 

 

KWAHU AMANFROM

MIGRANTE FISHERMEN SETTLERS FROM VOLTA REGION IN 1964

 

KOTOSO

OP. EMMANUEL KWASI ADDAE IN 1952

REV. FR. JOHN DAUPHINE

ASEMPANEYE

MESSRS RUBEN ADZOM, VIKU DONU AND DIEGO JOHN IN 1981

REV. FR. NORBERT MUSHOFF

AHINASE

OP. JOSEPH KOFI BRIGYAN IN 1934

REV. LEMENES ON 31ST OCTOBER, 1934

BONKRASE

MR. GIDEON FRANK KOFI GLI IN 1976

REV. FR. NORBERT IN 1983

NTESO

MADAM MARGRET DANSOA IN 1955

REV. FR. C. J. HODAPP IN 1956

ANKOMA

MR. OKAE IN 1953

REV. FR. C. J. HODAPP

OFRAMASE

OP. THOMAS ASANTE

 

AWESASU

 

MR. JOSEPH AMANORTEY IN 1961

 

 

 

 

 

 

BREIF HISTORY OF THE OUR LADY OF GOOD COUNSEL PARISH

 

The Our Lady of Good Counsel parish was established in 1926 by the Society of African Mission (SMA). The pioneers of the church were converts from the then dominant Christian religion in the Kwahu District, Presbyterian Church. These converts broke away due to a compulsory heavy levy imposed on them by the then Presbyterian Catechist. The converts went to Nkawkaw and registered as catechumens of the Catholic Church. The first missionary to visit the station was Fr. Joseph Stauffer, SMA from Saltpond in the Cape Coast Diocese on 14th December, 1926. He officially opened the Church with mass on 15th December, 1926, a day on which seven people were baptised.  From then on, many other priests visited the parish to open outstations.

 

In 1939, an agreement was reached between the SMA and the Society of the Divine Word (SVD) to hand over the Koforidua Church which included Kwahu Tafo to the SVDs. In January, 1941, Fr. Alphonse Eksbernd, SVD took over the Koforidua mission with Fr. Anthony Bauer, SVD as his assistant in charge of outstations. He later became the first Priest Resident at Kwahu Tafo in 1942. In 1943, Fr. Aloysius Torbek, SVD became the Assistant priest at Tafo in charge of some outstations including Nkawkaw. He was later transferred to Nkawkaw to cater for the stations down the scarp.

 

From1940, the following became Parish Priests until date

 

NAME OF PARISH PRIEST

PERIOD AS PP

MAJOR ACHIEVEMENTS

1. Fr. Anthony Bauer, SVD

1941 - 1950

Ø   

2. FR. John Dauphine, SVD

1950 - 1954

ü  Built the two-story mission house

ü  Constructed a building for St. Joseph Clinic

ü  Established three middle schools within the Parish

3. Fr. Cletus Joseph Hodapp, SVD

1954 - 1964

·         

4. Fr. Joseph Paridon, SVD

1964 - 1968

 

5. Fr. James William Keck, SVD

1968 - 1972

 

6. Fr. Norbert Mushoff, SVD

1972 - 1987

 

7. Fr. Vincent M. Burke, SVD

1989 - 1991

 

8. Fr. Marek Dabrowski, SVD

1991 - 2001

 

9. Duah Prempeh, SVD

2001 - 2005

 

10. Alex Awuah, SVD

2005 - 2011

 

11. Fr. Henry Kwaku Duah, SVD

2011- 2019

 

12. Fr. Eugene Bruce Konuah        Asante, SVD

2019 -

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION, PLEASE CONTACT

 

1. Fr. Eugene Bruce Konuah Asante, SVD on 0249373177/ 0208427108

 

2. Fr. Daniel Odei Denkyi, SVD on 0272631040